Viewing Volcanic Beauty
Can Be Fraught With Danger
Scientists say some uninformed or careless sight-seers have paid with their lives.
- Land Board Orders Naniloa to Restore $1 Million Bond
- Police Release May 17 List of Arrest Warrants
- Search Continues for Missing Man — And His Identity
- Police Seek Help Apprehending Suspects
- Agency Investigating Hawaiian Hawk Shootings
- Hilo Airport Field Office Included in Audit’s Criticism
- Traffic Signal to be Installed on New Kona Highway
- Spay/Neuter Clinic for Dogs This Sunday in Puna
Biz Wrap: Applegate Launches
Tourism Consulting Firm
In business news this week, Big Island Visitors Bureau executive director George Applegate has formed his own tourism consulting business as he prepares to step down as helm of the Bureau.
- Big Island Brewhaus Expanding its Distribution
- Statewide Unemployment Dropped to 4.9% Last Month
- Kona Community Hospital Contracting Out Hospitalist Services
- Zippy’s Hilo Hiring This Week
UHH SS Abreu Named to
All-PWC 2nd Team in Baseball
Abreu played every game for the 12-32 Vulcans, finishing the year with a .322 batting average.
- KS-Hawai`i Grad Wong Scores in UH Softball’s Regional Win
- Hilo’s Carter, Waiakea’s Freitas-Fields on All-Tourney Baseball List
- Manzano, Teshima Named to HHSAA DII Baseball All-Tourney Team
- Tokolahi Leaves New Orleans Mini Camp Without Deal
A Festival of Films
this Memorial Day
A magical weekend full of stars of the silver screen, as well as the sky come out in force for the Big Island Film Festival. This Memorial Day weekend independent films, shorts and workshops will take place throughout the Kohala Coast.
FAQ: Calculating Your
Potential Property Tax Increase
Find out how much you’ll pay under Mayor Kenoi’s proposed tax hikes.
- Event Calendar
Events For Sunday 05/19/2013
@ Hilton Waikoloa Village
This unforgettable dinner show celebrates the stories and people famed for their amazing feats of battle, romance and expertise across the South Pacific. 5:30 p.m. at the Kamehameha Court.
@ Hilo Burger Joint
-10 p.m. Musicians, comedians, poets and other talents of all ages are considered. Come watch the entertainment or perform and win a prize.
@ Kings' Shops at the Waikoloa Beach Resort
Every Sunday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, meet at the King's Shops center stage at 10:30 a.m. to take an hour long tour of nearby petroglyphs. Free event.
@ Cafe Pesto
5 p.m. each Sunday. Enjoy instrumental bass and guitar with dinner and/or drinks. No cover.