Community

Hawaiian fashion on display during Merrie Monarch Hula Festival

“Everyone wants to look their best at the festival,” said Nita Pilago of Wahine Toa.

First two panels of mural installed at former Uncle Billy’s site in Hilo

The mural aims to honor the Waiākea Peninsula area’s rich history and highlight the community’s ongoing dedication to shaping its future.

Merrie Monarch Hawaiian Arts and Crafts Fair starts Wednesday

The fair starts at 9 a.m. and goes till 5 p.m. Wednesday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, with free admission.

Virtual tour at conservation center on Big Island showcases endangered Hawaiian birds

The Keauhou Bird Conservation Center, near Volcano, is one of two centers operated through a partnership between San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife, for the care and perpetuation of numerous critically endangered Hawaiian forest birds.

Hawaii County to hold free health fairs for National Public Heath Week

“The impacts of our public health providers are vital to the well-being of our residents,” said Mayor Mitch Roth in a statement. “It’s not just about treating illnesses; it’s about promoting wellness, preventing disease, and fostering a community where everyone can thrive. Our commitment to public health is a commitment to caring for each other and ensuring a healthier future for all.”

Public invited to experience Pōhakuloa Training Area in April

The U.S. Army garrison located in the Saddle region on the Big Island is hosting a four-hour open house with displays, informational booths, kiosks, music and much more for everyone from keiki to kūpuna.

Cat-proof fence enclosure installed on Mauna Kea to protect nesting area of native seabird

Work on the more than 8,200-foot fence began in January 2022.

Hawai‘i Island Community Health Center to expand WIC progam

The Health Center’s newest WIC team and locations are in addition to established programs in Pāhoa and Ka’ū.

Laʻaloa Bay Beach Park reopens unveiling signage, walkways, protective buffer for cultural sites

The projects started in October after being on hold for five years to deal with the demands of the State Historic Preservation Division, other groups and community members about the protection of sacred heiau.

Public comment sought on proposed national marine sanctuary in Papahānaumokuākea

The proposed Papahānaumokuākea National Marine Sanctuary would supplement and complement existing authorities, including the area’s designation as a marine national monument, which will continue to be in effect.

Buildings in Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park damaged during 2018 eruption set for dismantling

The buildings to be taken down are located on the Uēkahuna bluff at the summit of Kīlauea. They are the former Jaggar Museum, and two buildings used by the U.S. Geological Survey Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, the Okamura Building and the Geochemistry Annex.

Top 10 things to do on Big Island for March 28-April 3: Merrie Monarch Festival kicks off Sunday; Easter events abound

Check out where the Easter Bunny will be hopping around the island this weekend and get ready to celebrate everything hula and Hawaiian during the 61st annual Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo.

Gear up for annual Special Olympics Hawai‘i fundraiser

From April 1 through May 13, Hawai‘i drivers can put the pedal to the metal and drive support for Special Olympics Hawai‘i athletes by donating at 33 participating Hele stores across O‘ahu, Hawai‘i Island and Maui.

Travelers to Big Island should plan ahead for Easter weekend and Merrie Monarch Hula Festival

The week-long Merrie Monarch cultural festival is expected to draw thousands of participants and enthusiasts to Hawai‘i Island, which could mean increased crowds and limited parking at Hawai‘i’s five busiest airports. The Hilo International Airport in particular is expected to be busy throughout the festival week, and travelers flying into and out of Hilo should plan accordingly.

Long-awaited dredging of Hilo’s Wailoa Small Boat Harbor could begin this summer

Initial funding for the project was released in January, a consultant has been hired and the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers indicated it will fast-track the required permitting process.

Honolulu man cited for illegal take and possession of fish

The DLNR said an officer with its Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement (DOCARE) responded to a complaint shortly after 10 p.m. on Mar. 21, and upon arriving at the scene, saw Moufa with dozens of fish in the back seat of a car.

Update: District Court judge maintains bail for Puna man accused of starving a toddler

The 31-year-old remains in police custody on $85,000 bail and is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on Thursday.

Hawai‘i Island police seek two with outstanding warrants

The Hawai‘i Police Department would like to remind the public that harboring or concealing a wanted person could result in criminal charges being filed against the person who harbors or conceals the wanted person.

Hawai‘i Police Department publicizes staff promotion

“Scott has been in the position of Area I Major for some time in an acting capacity,” said Deputy Police Chief Reed Mahuna in a statement. “He has done a terrific job and we are very excited to be able to make his promotion permanent.”

Merrie Monarch travelers reminded of ʻōhiʻa quarantine

Plant quarantine inspectors will be stationed at airports in Hilo and Kona to collect any ʻōhiʻa material which will be respectfully returned to the native forests on Hawai‘i Island. During last year’s Merrie Monarch travel period, PQB inspectors intercepted 31 lei poʻo (head lei) in Hilo and 12 lei poʻo in Kona.
Load More Articles