Community

Governor proclaims October as Infant Safe Sleep Month in Hawaiʻi

The Hawaiʻi Department of Health encourages parents and caregivers to create a safe sleeping environment for babies.

Top 10 things to do on Big Island for Oct. 10-16: Let the spooky season events begin, plus fall fun and more

Some of the island’s first Halloween-related events are this weekend, along with other autumnal affairs in Waimea and Kea‘au. That’s not all. There’s plenty to do. Check out the top 10 now!

Students urged to register for 2024-25 Hawaiʻi LifeSmarts Competition

The LifeSmarts Competition is a free educational program that teaches students critical skills in personal finance, consumer rights and responsibilities, the environment, health and safety and technology.

Deadline for next round of Puna Strong grants nears

Funding is not limited to prospective grantees; any nonprofit organization that serves the Puna area is eligible to apply. The application deadline is 4 p.m. Oct. 10.

Big Islanders turn out for National Coffee With a Cop Day

“Mahalo to the dozens of people that came to coffee shops across the Big Island to talk story with members of Hawai‘i Police Department during this morning’s National Coffee With a Cop day! It was fantastic to see so many people … turn out from Puna to Waimea to Kona, Honoka‘a and Hilo! Working together, we make Hawai‘i County a safer place for us all.” — Hawai‘i Police Department

Chef Ippy Aiona to discuss local food at Discover Your Kuleana gathering in Waimea

The free community event, featuring Chef Ippy Aiona, will explore what it takes to bring local food from farm to table and why it’s people’s responsibility to support island agriculture.

Hawai‘i County Youth Commission to host first online town hall meeting today

Community members are encouraged to join the virtual event at 4 p.m. via Zoom to learn more about the commission and speak with some of its members.

Top 10 things to do on Big Island for Oct. 3-9: 3rd Aloha Shirt Festival, Shrek The Musical, celebrating Rosh Hashanah, Taste of the Philippines

There’s once again no lack of fun coming up around the Big Island. Check out our top 10 things to do on the island now!

Community invited to give feedback on new district park proposed in Hawaiian Paradise Park

The new park would be developed on a county-owned 20-acre parcel bordered by Kaloli Drive, 25th Avenue and 26th Avenue, and mainly serve residents of Hawaiian Paradise Park and greater Puna in support of healthy lifestyles and families.

Brewing better bonds: Several events percolating around the Big Island for National Coffee With a Cop Day

Officers with Hawai‘i Police Department Community Policing Sections in Hilo, Pāhoa, Honoka‘a, Waimea and Kona invite the public to join them to get to know them, share personal stories or discuss neighborhood and community issues.

Keauhou Community Day focused on ‘āina, culture, community at Keauhou Bay and Keauhou Shopping Center

Created in 2023 by former Miss Kona Coffee Shyla Victor, this year’s event reflected a commitment to stewarding ʻāina.

Over 100 caregivers learn tools at resource fair in South Kona to help aging loved ones

The second annual Empowering Family Caregiver Resource Fair hosted by Kona Community Hospital was held on Saturday at Yano Hall. Health care professionals did presentations on a wide range of caregiving topics, from recognizing dementia-related behaviors to understanding the importance of advance health care directives, wills and trusts, according to a press release from the Kona hospital.

Once a critically threatened cultural practice, Hawaiian hula puppetry making a comeback

While hula is emblematic of Hawai‘i, it is far less known that puppetry is a tradition within the world-famous form of dance.

Puppy kisses promised at Adopt, Shop and Sip to support Aloha ‘Īlio Rescue

Come cuddle and love on some adorable pups available for adoption, grap a coffee and spoil your furry friend with some treats Saturday at Paws University in Kona.

Building relationships one cup at a time

Ever popular Coffee With a Cop returns Friday morning to Waikōloa Village. South Kohala residents are invited to come, talk story with community policing officers and have a free hot brewed cup of joe while getting to the people who serve and protect them.

Top 10 things to do on Big Island for Sept. 26-Oct. 2: Everything from a musical about cruel murderous teens to the World’s Largest Pet Walk and more

There’s a normal, shall we say, je ne sais quoi to the mix of events and activites happening around this rock we call home on a regular basis. Today’s top 10 things to do on the Big Island, however, has a kind of special flare. Check it out now!

For bird’s sake: Help protect young seabirds as they take their first flight

Every fall during seabird fallout season, from roughly Sept. 15 to Dec. 15, the fledglings leave their nests to make their inaugural journeys to the ocean. When they do, they can become disoriented by artificial light, collide with man-made structures or become exhausted and fall, making them vulnerable to automobiles and predators.

Hawai‘i Island leader in wildfire management honored in New York City

Elizabeth Pickett was honored by the media organization Grist for tackling pressing climate problems.

Update: Hāwī transfer station to remain closed through at least next 2 days

It is uncertain whether the Hāwī transfer station will reopen after Wednesday. Further updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

1 million diapers strong and still going

Hawai‘i Diaper Bank, the first nonprofit in the islands to provide free diapers, baby wipes and other children’s essentials to low-income families with young keiki, will donate its millionth diaper to Going Home Hawai‘i today.
Load More Articles