Thief steals 9 Polynesian Voyaging Society specialty license plates in Kona
On Aug. 5, police responded to nine theft reports in the Kona area of Polynesian Voyaging Society specialty license plates.
The thefts all occurred during the day.
The stolen license plates were taken from parking lots of various business establishments while the vehicles were parked and unattended.
No suspects have been identified. Police ask that anyone with information regarding these incidents to call the police department’s non-emergency line at 808-935-3311.
Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the island-wide Crime Stoppers number at 808-961-8300 and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.
The Hawai‘i Police Department reminds the public that if you park your car in a public parking lot:
- Park in well-lit areas.
- If you notice surveillance cameras, park in these areas.
- Park in attended parking lots.
- At home, park your vehicle in a locked garage, if you have one.
- Park near the entrances of stores, where it is highly populated.
- Use special screws that require a special security wrench to remove.
- Report any suspicious persons or activity.