Hawaiian Electric tips to prepare for potential outages from upcoming storm
Hawaiian Electric urges customers to prepare for potential impacts from an approaching Kona Low system that will affect the Big Island.
Hawaiian Electric crews are prepared to respond to storm-related outages. In some areas, power restoration may be delayed due to accessibility issues caused by fallen trees, debris or flooding. The company offers these tips to help customers prepare for potential extended outages:
- Gather emergency supplies, such as a battery-powered radio, flashlights, lanterns and batteries. Be prepared to monitor communications over emergency broadcast radio stations.
- Store enough water, non-perishable food, medicine and personal hygiene supplies for your family members and pets to last at least 14 days.
- Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electric appliances and equipment during a storm or a power outage. When power comes back and is stable, plug in the equipment one at a time.
- Shut off your electricity at the main breaker or switch if you need to evacuate.
- Consider having a backup generator if you are dependent on an electrically powered life support system. Or, make plans to go to an alternate location where electricity will be available. Be prepared to take your medical equipment and medications with you.
- If your business or residence is equipped with a backup generator, learn how to properly operate the device to avoid causing damage or injury.
- Prepare a list of emergency contacts including phone numbers for insurance agents, vendors, physicians or any other important individuals.
- If you see a downed power line, assume it is energized and dangerous. Stay away from downed power lines – at least 30 feet or more (at least two car lengths).
The best way to keep updated on outages or other important notifications is through Hawaiian Electric’s Twitter feed. Follow @HwnElectric, @MauiElectric or @HIElectricLight.
A free download of the company’s mobile app is available at Apple App and Google Play stores. Customers may view the outage map and report an outage through the app.
Hawaiian Electric trouble lines are available to customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Hawai‘i Island: 808-969-6666
- O‘ahu: 1-855-304-1212
- Maui: 808-871-7777
- Moloka‘i and Lāna‘i: 1-877-871-8461