State funding to renovate Big Island schools’ fire alarm systems, more
Infrastructure at several Big Island schools will be upgraded or replaced under a new round of capital improvement project funding, announced by then-Gov. David Ige on Sunday.
Hawai‘i Island-based projects will receive $18,567,350, a portion of the $306.8 million released for projects across the state. In addition to fire alarm renovations at Kea‘au High School, Kea‘au Middle School and Kealakehe Intermediate School, other initiatives include improvements at Hilo High School and Ho‘okena Elementary School, parking lot renovations at Kaʻū Hospital & Rural Health Clinic and water well improvements in North Kohala.
All local and statewide capital improvement projects funding announced on Dec. 4 is listed below:
- $4.5 million to finance construction for track and field improvements at Hilo High School.
- $555,000 to finance design and construction for campus drainage system improvements at Ho‘okena Elementary School.
- $173,250 to finance design and construction to upgrade the fire alarm system at Kea‘au High School.
- $89,100 to finance design and construction to upgrade the fire alarm system at Kea‘au Middle School.
- $1.2 million to finance design and construction for school improvements at Kealakehe Intermediate School, including replacing the campus fire alarm system.
- $530,000 to finance design and construction for track and field improvements at Konawaena High School.
- $720,000 to renovate the parking lot of the critical access hospital at Kaʻū Hospital & Rural Health Clinic.
- $800,000 to finance the additional construction costs for the south ramp taxiway and ramp improvements at Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole.
- $5 million for water well improvements for agricultural use in North Kohala.
- $5 million to finance design and construction for a girls athletic locker room at Waiākea High School.
- $5 million to finance the construction costs for Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting truck shelters at airports statewide.
- $20 million to finance minor capital improvement projects for the University of Hawai‘i community colleges system statewide.
- $5 million to finance the design costs associated with electrical engineering services to support commercial harbors development activities statewide.
- $20 million into the state’s Dwelling Unit Revolving Fund to finance construction of affordable housing projects, statewide.
- $3 million to address immediate repairs, deferred maintenance, related support and improvements of Hawai‘i Department of Public Safety statewide facilities.
- $5,125,000 for construction for various sub-projects related to public facilities and sites statewide.
- $1.2 million for plans for multiple transit-oriented development projects in neighbor island counties, statewide.
- $3.15 million to finance additional land acquisition and design for the Statewide Coastal Highway Program statewide.
- $3 million to finance design and construction for improvements to support ongoing and planned Americans with Disabilities Act improvements at various schools statewide.
- $2 million to finance design and construction to provide gender equity at schools where athletic programs for girls and boys have disproportionately sized or located facilities, statewide.
- $5 million to finance design and construction necessary to support ongoing and planned health and safety improvements to school grounds and facilities to maintain and enhance healthy environments in schools, statewide.
- $16 million to finance design and construction for program support improvements of existing or new school facilities, statewide.