Preliminary Hearing Scheduled for California Man Facing Attempted Murder Charge

Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

A Hilo District Court judge maintained bail for a California man accused of second-degree attempted murder.

Fifty-four-year-old Arvil Reed appeared before Judge Jeffrey Hawk on Monday, March 7, on charges related to an incident that occurred at a Hilo hotel Friday, March 4, where he allegedly struck his travel companion with a firearm and threatened to kill her while in their shared room. 

Arvil Reed

Reed is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on March 9 on charges of second-degree attempted murder, two counts of second-degree assault, first-degree terroristic threatening, two counts of ownership or possession of a firearm prohibited, carrying or use of a firearm in the commission of a separate felony and kidnapping.

He remains in custody on $680,000 bail.


Charges stem from a verbal argument between Reed and his female friend regarding him lying about his military service while at the hotel bar, according to a probable cause statement filed in Hilo District Court Monday. According to the court document, the argument escalated when the pair returned to their hotel room.

Once in the room, the PC statement indicates Reed pulled out a black handgun from his luggage that he brought from California, inserted a magazine and cocked the weapon. Reed then allegedly struck the 45-year-old woman on the right temple, causing her to fall on the bed.

According to the court document, Reed then got on top of the reported victim and placed his left forearm on her throat, restricting her breathing causing her to nearly pass out.


“Reed then forcefully put the barrel of his handgun into her mouth, chipping her front teeth, and stating to her approximately six to seven times that he was going to end her life,” the PC statement indicates.

The woman later told authorities she feared for her life.

According to the PC statement, Reed eventually got off of the reported victim and gave her a chance to leave the hotel room. The woman told police she grabbed her purse, which had her cellphone in it, and left. At that point, she called 911.


The woman told Hawaiʻi police she made it to the end of the hallway and started pushing buttons for the elevator. Reed followed her out of the room and allegedly ran toward her. The PC statement states she escaped Reed down the emergency stairwell and hid in the housekeeping offices till police arrived.

Officers made contact with Reed outside the hotel where he was taken into custody without incident. According to the PC statement, the California man spontaneously told police he left the gun in his room.

Tiffany DeMasters
Tiffany DeMasters is a full-time reporter for Pacific Media Group. Tiffany worked as the cops and courts reporter for West Hawaii Today from 2017 to 2019. She also contributed stories to Ke Ola Magazine and Honolulu Civil Beat.

Tiffany can be reached at
Read Full Bio

Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments