DPS: 1 Inmate, 2 Staff Members at HCCC Test Positive for COVID
The state Department of Public Safety reported Monday that one inmate and two staff members at Hawai’i Community Correctional Center in Hilo have tested positive for COVID-19.
The positive cases were among five inmate test results received by the department.
COVID-19 testing is continuously being conducted in state prisons and jails as well as the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz.
The latest testing updates for the correctional facilities are:
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center: Five inmate test results; one positive, four negative. Two positive staff test results were reported.
- Halawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 116 inmate test results; 27 positive, 89 negative, 107 inmates have recovered. There was also one positive employee result reported.
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center: 44 inmate test results; eight positive, 36 negative.
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: Four positive inmate test results and four positive staff test results reported.
- Maui Community Correctional Center: 42 inmate test results; three positive, 39 negative, 58 inmates have recovered. One positive staff test result and two staff recoveries were reported.
- Waiawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): One positive staff test result reported.
COVID-19 updates for other DPS Divisions:
- Sheriff Division: One positive staff test result reported.
The Department of Public Safety continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
For more detailed inmate testing data, the department’s Pandemic Plan and information about response efforts made to safeguard inmates, staff and the public, visit the DPS’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage.