DPS: 5 Inmates, 1 Staff at HCCC, 1 Staff at Kulani Test Positive for COVID
The state Department of Public Safety on Monday reported that five inmates and one staff member at Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center in Hilo and one staff member at Kulani Correctional Facility in Hilo have tested positive for COVID-19.
COVID testing is continuously being conducted in state prisons and jails as well as the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz.
The latest testing updates for the correctional facilities are as follows:
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center: 20 inmate test results; five positive, 15 negative. One positive staff test result was reported.
- Kulani Correctional Facility: One positive staff result and one staff recovery was reported; 29 negative inmate test results.
- Maui Community Correctional Center: 44 inmate test results; 12 positive, 32 negative.
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center: 16 inmate test results; six positive, 10 negative; 10 inmates have recovered. One positive staff test result was reported.
- Women’s Community Correctional Center (O‘ahu): 14 inmate test results; six positive, eight negative.
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: Four inmate test results; two positive, two negative. Two staff have recovered.
- Halawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 123 inmate test results; one positive, 122 negative. One positive employee test result was received. Eight employees have recovered.
- Waiawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 79 inmate test results; one positive, 79 negative.
COVID-19 updates for other DPS Divisions are as follows:
- Sheriff Division: Five positive staff test results reported.
The Department of Public Safety continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
For more detailed inmate testing data, the department’s Pandemic Plan and information about response efforts made to safeguard inmates, staff and public, visit the DPS’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage.