10 Inmates, 2 Staff Members at HCCC Test Positive for COVID
The state Department of Public Safety on Monday reported that 10 inmates at Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center in Hilo have tested positive for COVID-19. Two of the jail’s staff members also tested positive.
One inmate at Kulani Correctional Facility in Hilo tested negative.
Testing is continuously being conducted in the state’s prisons and jails as well as in the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz.
The latest testing updates received for the correctional facilities are as follows:
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center: 15 inmate test results; 10 positive, five negative. Two positive staff results reported.
- Kulani Correctional Facility: One negative inmate test result.
- Maui Community Correctional Center: 136 inmate test results; 65 positive, 71 negative. There were 29 staff test results; two positive, 27 negative.
- Waiawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 149 inmate test results; nine positive, 140 negative. Three staff have recovered.
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center: 27 inmate test results; eight positive, 19 negative.
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: 17 inmate test results; six positive, 11 negative. Four positive staff test result were reported. Seven staff have recovered.
- Halawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 117 inmate test results; five positive, 112 negative. Two positive staff results and four staff recoveries reported.
COVID-19 updates for other Department of Public Safety divisions are as follows:
- Sheriff Division: Three staff recoveries reported.
There are no inmates or staff reported hospitalized.
The Department of Public Safety continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
For more detailed inmate testing data, DPS’s Pandemic Plan and information about response efforts made to safeguard inmates, staff and the public, visit the department’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage.