PTA Releases January Training, Convoy Schedule
Pōhakuloa Training Area has released its monthly schedule for essential training activities and convoys for January.
Essential training is subject to change based on safety, weather and other environmental factors. Weather, such as overcast conditions can increase noise and vibrations.
According to a press release from PTA, training exercises may be heard by surrounding communities. Should individuals hear noise, there is no immediate danger. The planned training is as follows:
- Jan. 8: Hawaiʻi Army National Guard small arms training
- Jan. 10-18: Army (Reserves) mortar live-fire training
- Jan. 13-24: Army small arms and convoy live-fire training
- Jan. 14-16: Hawaiʻi Army National Guard small arms training
- Jan. 18-31: Army Unmanned Aircraft Systems, or UAS, training
- Jan 24-28: Marine UXO surface clearance
The following military convoys are planned during January:
- Jan.11 and Jan. 13: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Kawaihae Harbor to PTA
- Jan. 25 and 27: 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. PTA to Kawaihae Harbor
There are no hunting opportunities currently planned for January. If the situation changes, an additional advisory will be published.
UAS training can occur 24 hours a day, seven days a week on PTA in the restricted airspace. Protecting the health of the force and the community continue to be the Army’s top priority as Hawaiʻi service members maintain mission readiness, the release states. All mission essential training requires adherence to Department of Defense and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines regarding safety and physical distancing, including the wearing of masks and frequent sanitization.
“The military appreciates the understanding and continued support of the Hawaiʻi Island community,” the release states. “While sometimes loud, this training is critical to ensure military units and service members are ready to accomplish their mission and return home safely.”
To report concerns related to noise or training, call U.S. Army Hawaiʻi’s Community Concern Line at 808-656-3487 or send an email to [email protected]. Concerns are responded to during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.