County Reduces Indoor Gathering Limit Ahead of New Year’s Eve
Hawaiʻi County has reduced the indoor gathering limit to 10 as COVID-19 cases continue to surge statewide.
The limit is down from 25 persons allowed indoors, as was previously specified in Mayor’s First Amended COVID-19 Emergency Rule No.19, originally signed on Nov. 30. Mayor’s Second Amended COVID-19 Emergency Rule No.19, signed Monday, Dec. 27, by Managing Director Lee Lord, makes no other changes to the emergency rules.
Lord signed for Mayor Mitch Roth due to Roth’s mandatory quarantine related to COVID-19.
“We know people are going to gather to celebrate the New Year, and we want to ensure that if they do, that they do so outdoors, where it’s safe,” said Mayor Mitch Roth. “The new variant is extremely transmissible and is spreading quickly. The science says that outdoor gatherings are much safer than indoors, and we would like to encourage all of our residents to adhere to the new limits. We don’t want to roll back any other restrictions, and the only way for us to ensure that we don’t have to is by doing what’s in the best interest of everyone in our community – mask up, distance when possible, and stay home if you feel sick.”
County officials also remind residents of the importance of getting their booster shots to combat the surge of COVID-19 in our community. Boosters are free and are being administered islandwide.