Wind and Surf Advisory Extended
The National Weather Service has extended the wind advisory and high surf advisory for Hawai´i Island to Sunday evening.
A wind advisory means you can expected sustained winds up to 30 mph and gusts of 50 mph for the affected areas of North and South Kohala, Hamakua, Ka’u, and island interior areas.
Due to the extended wind advisory, please make sure to;
- Secure your outdoor items.
- Be aware of poor visibility in areas of blowing dust.
- Know that road closures may occur without notice.
- Stay clear of downed utility poles and lines and report any downed utility poles or lines to authorities.
- Motorists, especially those in high profile vehicles, drive with caution.
A high surf advisory means surf will be higher than normal, shore break, and dangerous currents could cause injury or death.
Due to the high surf advisory, the following are issued;
- Expect strong breaking waves, shore break, and rip currents making swimming difficult and dangerous.
- Beach-goers, swimmers, and surfers should heed all advice given by ocean safety officials and exercise caution.
- Beaches may be closed without notice.