No Injuries Reported After Pāhoa Residential Structure Fire
A single-story residential structure was burned to the ground in Pāhoa Thursday, Oct. 7.
Hawaiʻi Fire Department responded to the call at 11:55 a.m., located on Kaimu Chain of Craters Road near mile marker 24. When crews arrived on scene, they found a fully involved 20-foot-by-25-foot structure fully involved in flames. Two vehicles and a small pile of tires were also burning, HFD officials stated.
According to HFD, neighbors reported the owner of the property was burning some trash and then left the blaze unattended in a green KIA just prior to the structure catching fire.
The unpermitted structure collapsed shortly after firefighters arrived. The resident was not home at the time of the blaze, however, there were three pet geese that were confirmed to be dead within their cages.
Surrounding exposures were unaffected by the fire. The flames were stamped out at approximately 1:30 p.m. The scene was turned over to Hawaiʻi Police Department for further investigation.