11 Active COVID Cases Reported at HCCC
* Updated September 25, 10:29 AM
There are currently 11 active COVID-19 cases among inmates at Hawaiʻi Community Correctional Center.
As of Friday, Sept. 24, the Public Safety Department reports 246 prisoners have recovered from the virus as well at 34 staff. There are currently no active cases among employees.
With an operating capacity of 226, there are currently 278 inmates being housed at HCCC, according to the bi-monthly population report released Sept. 20.
COVID-19 testing is continuously being conducted in the state prisons and jails as well as in the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz. The latest testing updates received for other correctional facilities are as follows:
- Hawaiʻi Community Correctional Center – 91 inmate test results: 10 positive, 81 negative. There is a total of 11 active inmate cases in custody at the facility. There were also 57 negative staff results reported.
- Oʻahu Community Correctional Center – 83 inmate test results: One positive, 82 negative.
- Kauaʻi Community Correctional Center – Two inmates have recovered. KCCC is now clear of all active COVID-19 cases at the facility.
- Waiawa Correctional Facility – Two negative inmate test results.
The Department of Public Safety (PSD) continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccination. For more detailed inmate testing data, PSD’s Pandemic Plan and information on response efforts made to safeguard the inmates, staff and public, visit the dedicated COVID-19 webpage here.