HFD Responds to Fire at Big Island Gym
A small structure fire broke out at the Laupahoehoe Gym early Thursday afternoon, according to a report from the Hawai´i Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the call at 1:18 pm to the smoldering fire, which was isolated to a section of the exterior stairs and the floor of the gym itself.
No injuries were reported, as the plantation-era gym, approximately 8,100 square feet in size, was idle and not in use due to COVID-19 restrictions currently active on the Big Island and across the state.
“The fire was under control prior to HFD’s arrival by residents with use of a portable fire extinguisher and coolers filled with water,” the official HPD report said. “HPD (the Hawai´i Police Department) was on scene prior to HFD and provided information about the fire scene.”
(The) smoldering fire was extinguished and area inspected with use of thermal imaging camera,” the report continued. “Scene was left in care with HPD, as they continued investigating the area. HFD units were cleared from the scene and returned to quarters.”
The department asks that both residents and visitors alike call (808) 935 3311 to report any suspicious fire-related activities.