HIDOE Grab-and-Go Summer Meals Begins in June
The Grab-and-Go meal service at Hawaii’s schools begins June 4 and runs until July 19.
The Hawai‘i State Department of Education (HIDOE) will be distributing food during the lunch hour. Pick-ups will include one lunch for that day and one breakfast for the following day, per child. Meals will be provided Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. All children ages 18 and younger may participate at approximately 80 distribution sites, regardless of their enrollment status.
“We know that this service will help our students achieve educational opportunities by providing reliable and nutritious meals throughout the summer months,” said Randall Tanaka, assistant superintendent, Office of Facilities and Operations. “We encourage all children in the community to take advantage of this opportunity.”
Families are encouraged to visit their nearest participating school — and not visit multiple locations — to ensure that schools can produce the appropriate number of meals each day. Contact the school of your choice for more details. Sponsor sites at public agencies, churches and nonprofit organizations will also be distributing meals to children over the summer. Details will be forthcoming.
For special diet accommodations, send an email to [email protected].
Parents or guardians who choose to pick up meals without their child(ren) present must provide one of the following verification documents daily:
- An official letter or email from the school listing child(ren) enrolled.
- Recent student report card(s).
- Attendance record(s) from parent portals of school websites.
- Birth certificate(s) of child(ren).
- Student ID card(s).
- Driver’s permit/license(s) for high school students.
- A state-issued ID of the student.
The following schools participating in the program are below:
- Ernest B. DeSilva Elementary, located at 278 Ainako Ave. in Hilo, will be offer meals from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Hilo High, located at 556 Waiānuenue Ave. in Hilo, will offer meals from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Hilo Intermediate, located at 587 Waiānuenue Ave. in Hilo, will offer meals from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Kalanianaʻole Elementary & Intermediate, located at 27-330 Old Māmalahoa Highway in Pāpaʻikou, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
- Kaʻū High & Pāhala Elementary, located at 96-3150 Pikake Street in Pāhala, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Keaʻau Elementary, located at 16-680 Keaʻau-Pāhoa Road in Keaʻau, will offer meals from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Kealakehe Intermediate, located at 74-5062 Onipaʻa Street in Kailua-Kona, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
- Keaukaha Elementary, located at 240 Desha Lane in Hilo, will offer meals from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Keonepoko Elementary, located at 15-890 Kahakai Boulevard in Pāhoa, will offer meals from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Kohala High, located at 53-3611 ʻAkoni Pule Highway in Kapaʻau, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
- Kohala Middle, located at 53-4155 ʻAkoni Pule Highway in Kapaʻau, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
- Mountain View Elementary, located at 18-1235 Volcano Highway in Mountain View, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Naʻalehu Elementary, located at 95-5545 Māmalahoa Highway in Naʻalehu, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
- Pāhoa High & Intermediate, located at 15-3035 Pāhoa Village Road in Pāhoa, will offer meals from 12:15-12:30 p.m.
- Waiākea Elementary, located at 180 West Puaʻinako Street in Hilo, will offer meals from 11-11:30 a.m.
- Waiākea High, located at 155 West Kawili Street in Hilo, will offer meals from 10:15 a.m. to noon.
- Waiākea Intermediate, located at 200 West Puaʻinako Street in Hilo, will offer meals from 11-11:45 a.m.
- Waikoloa Elementary & Middle, located at 68-1730 Ho’oko Street in Waikoloa Village, will offer meals from 11:30 a.m. to noon.