Big Island Coronavirus Updates
Transfer Station Closures Through May
Due to COVID-19 concerns, the Department of Environmental Management Solid Waste Division is continuing to suspend the following programs and services until May 31, 2020, or until further notice:
- HI-5 Certified Redemption Centers: Visit https://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/recycle/hi5/ for a list of locations and hours for other HI-5 Certified Redemption Centers.
- Reuse Centers: Visit https://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/reuse-2/ for a list of other reuse centers.
- Greenwaste Collection: Suspended at Kealakehe, Ke‘ei, Pāhoa, Kea‘au, Volcano, and Waimea Transfer Stations, but continues to be offered at:
- Hilo: East Hawaiʻi Organics Facility, 7:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. daily (7 days a week)
- Waikoloa: West Hawaiʻi Organics Facility, 7:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday thru Saturday
- Scrap Metal and White Goods Collections: Suspended at the Hilo, Kea‘au, Pāhoa, Volcano, Wai‘ōhinu, Pāhala, Ke‘ei, Kealakehe, Puakō, Waimea, Hāwī, Honoka‘a and Laupāhoehoe Transfer Stations. Visit https://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/recycle/scrap-metal/ for a list of other metal recyclers.
Residents are encouraged to use the other service providers or hold onto their items until collection at transfer stations resume.
This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments
1Another Tourist Following Gps Drives Down Same Ramp Into Water At Big Island Harbor 2Hawaiʻi Island Police Searching For 21 Year Old Wanted For 5 Outstanding Warrants 3Police Identify 82 Year Old Killed In Bike Crash In Kona 4Mayor Roths Town Hall Series Begins In West Hawaii Issues Include Vacation Rentals Homelessness Feral Cats Pickleball 5Cinder Block Lane Markers For Kona Canoe Regatta Damage 100 Coral Colonies 640 Year Old Woman Wanted For 2 Outstanding Warrants Questioning For Big Island Investigations