News

HFD Douses Structure Fire in Hilo

July 29, 2019, 6:34 PM HST
* Updated July 30, 8:11 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

No one was injured in a fire that occurred on the morning of Monday, July 29, 2019, in Hilo.

The Hawai‘i Fire Department (HFD) responded to report at 7:42 a.m. Monday of a structure fire at 15 Amau‘ulu Road in Hilo, which involved approximately 160 square feet of a two-story home. A stove caused the blaze, which was confined to a lower-story kitchen, according to a release from HFD. Heavy smoke was visible upon arrival,

The home’s occupant self-extricated after being alerted to the danger by an audible smoke detector, the release continued. HFD personnel located and rescued a pet dog inside. The flames were extinguished by 7:58 a.m. Monday.

An estimate of the home’s valued was marked at $207,705, and it sustained an estimated $20,000 in damage, the release stated. No other property or structures were damaged in the fire.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Cancel
Mahalo for Subscribing
×

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments