News

Man Dies in Pāhoa Structure Fire

March 11, 2019, 10:35 AM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

The Hawai‘i Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Aholehole Street in the Pāhoa District of the Big Island on Monday, March 11, 2019, at 6:37 a.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters found light smoke coming from inside the structure. Per a resident on the scene, his roommate barricaded himself in a bathroom and set the contents on fire.

Engine Company 10 made forcible entry into the locked bathroom. The door was warm to the touch. It was noted that the door was being blocked by something inside. The door was removed from the hinge side. Blocking the doorway was a pile of clothes and linens that was mainly smoldering but did flare up with the introduction of fresh air.

The fire was extinguished and the contents blocking the burnt door were taken outside the structure.

Heavy smoke and heat was found in the unventilated bathroom. The bathroom had no windows or other entries. A male in his 60’s was found in the bathroom without any signs of life. EMS personnel determined the person was dead-on-arrival.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The scene was released to fire inspectors and the Hawai‘i Police Department.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.