News

HFD Responds to ‘Imminent Fire’ Caused by Beauty Product

January 21, 2019, 1:52 PM HST
* Updated January 25, 11:53 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Quick White almost caused a fire on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019.

The Hawai‘i Fire Department (HFD) responded to a report of an incident in a home in the 900 block of Waiānuenue Avenue on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019, at 11:12 p.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters found all occupants of the home self-evacuated from the home and an occupant stating there was smoke but no visible fire.

Upon investigation, firefighters found a container of beauty products was spontaneously combusting, melting the plastic around it, but no flames had started yet.

SalonCare Quick White is a bleaching powder containing ammonium persulfate and potassium persulfate. These strong oxidizing agents were the cause of the spontaneous heating/ignition of the organic materials.

Using a thermal imager, firefighters were able to find the source of the decomposing product and remove it without damage to the home. Based on the temperature of the product measured by the thermal imager and the melted plastic surrounding it, it was likely that the substance would have caught fire within a few hours.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

 

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

HFD recommends that all residents regularly review their inventory of all household products that are toxic, flammable, oxidizers or expired drugs and dispose of them through the county’s hazardous waste program.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.