Deadline Extended for Testimony on Hū Honua Bioenergy Power Plant
The Hawai‘i Department of Health (DOH) has extended the deadline for the public to provide written testimony regarding pending permit applications from Hū Honua Bioenergy on Hawai‘i Island. Written statements will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018, and must be sent by mail to P.O. Box 3378, Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96801-3378 or by email at [email protected].
Hū Honua’s Bioenergy power plant facility is located at 28-283 Sugar Mill Road in Pepe‘ekeo. On Wednesday, Nov. 14, DOH held a public information meeting in Hilo, followed by a public hearing about pending permit applications including:
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) application and draft permit to discharge storm water associated with industrial activities from the Hū Honua Bioenergy facility, and to receive state waters, subject to special conditions;
- Application for an Underground Injection Control (UIC) permit to operate; and
- Solid waste permit application for the recycling of ash.
Printed copies of the permit applications are available for public viewing, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 7:45 a.m. until 4:15 p.m. at:
- DOH Clean Water Branch- 2827 Waimano Home Road, #225, Pearl City, HI 96782
- Hawai‘i District Health Office in Hilo – 75 Aupuni St. #201, Hilo, HI 96720
- Hawai‘i District Health Office in Kona – 79-1015 Haukapila St., Kealakekua, HI 96750
Information about the public comment deadline extension may be found on DOH’s Safe Drinking Water Branch website.
Additional information is also available at DOH’s Clean Water Branch website and the Water Pollution Control (WPC) Viewer.