Cat 4 Hurricane Lane 315 Miles S of Kailua-Kona
Wednesday, Aug. 22, 6 AM
Hawai‘i County Civil Defense reported that the Hurricane Warning issued by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center continues for the Big Island.
A Hurricane Warning is issued when hurricane conditions of damaging winds, damaging surf, and flooding rains are possible within 36 hours.
The Central Pacific Hurricane Center reports that as of 5 a.m., Hurricane Lane is a Category 4 hurricane located approximately 315 miles S of Kailua-Kona with sustained winds of 155 mph, moving WNW at approximately 9 mph. If this movement continues, residents of West Hawai‘i must take necessary precautions.
Due to the Hurricane Warning status, the following closures are in effect:
- All schools and the University of Hawaii campuses will be closed until further notice.
- All beach parks, from South Point north to Kohala, will be closed until further notice. All pavilion and camping permits for these parks have been cancelled.
- South Point Road from the Kamaoa Road junction to South Point is closed to all traffic.
- All other roads are open at this time.
- The Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) advises all boat owners in unprotected harbors from Milolii to Mahukona to take all measures to secure their vessels. This includes removal, if possible. Complete all actions before nightfall.
The Department of Education, in coordination with the American Red Cross and Hawai‘i County Parks and Recreation, have identified shelters in all districts that will be opened if necessary.
You will be notified if any of the shelters are opened.