5th Shelter Opens for Hurricane Lane
The Hurricane Warning issued by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center continues for Hawai‘i County. A Hurricane Warning is issued when hurricane conditions of damaging winds, damaging surf, and flooding rains are possible within 36 hours.
The Central Pacific Hurricane Center reports as of 5 pm that Hurricane Lane is a category 4 hurricane located approximately 260 miles S of Kailua-Kona with sustained winds of 145 mph, moving WNW at approximately 8 mph. If this movement continues, Hurricane Lane is projected to pass west of Hawai‘i Island commencing early Thursday.
Due to the Hurricane Warning, the following advisories have been issued:
- A high surf warning is in effect for south facing shores of Ka‘u and Kona.
- Residents in low lying areas of Ka‘ū and Kona subject to wave impacts must take necessary precautions to protect life and property due to dangerous storm surge and large waves.
- A flood advisory is in effect for Hawai‘i Island. Do expect heavy rain and flooding.
- Hurricane force winds are possible on the west side of the island from South Point to north Kohala. The remainder of the island could experience tropical storm force winds.
Due to the Hurricane Warning, the following closures are in effect:
- All non-emergency County operations are suspended tomorrow. The Hele On bus service and all transfer stations will remain open.
- All schools and the University of Hawai‘i campuses are closed until further notice.
- All beach parks, from South Point north to Kohala, are closed until further notice. All pavilion and camping permits for these parks have been cancelled.
- South Point Road from the Kamaoa Road junction to South Point is closed to all traffic.
All residents should review preparedness plans and take early precautionary measures at this time.
Due to the potential effects of Hurricane Lane, five emergency shelters have been opened on the north and west side of Hawaii Island. These shelters are for your convenience, but there is NO mandatory evacuation at this time. The shelters are available if you need to relocate.
- Hookena Elementary School: 86-4355 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain Cook
- Kamehameha Park Hisaoka Gym: 54-382 Kamehameha Park Road, Kapaau *Pet Friendly
- Kealakehe High School: 74-5000 Puohulihuli Street, Kailua-Kona *Pet Friendly
- Waikoloa Elementary & Middle School: 68-1730 Ho’oko Street, Waikoloa
- Konawaena High School Gym: 81-1043 Konawaena School Road, Kealakekua
If you choose to relocate to a shelter, food is not provided. Please bring your blankets and pillows if possible. However, the shelter is open to everyone with or without these items.