Civil Defense Update: Evacuations Happening, Stay in Safe Place
This is a Civil Defense Message for Friday, May 18, 2018, at 7:30 in the evening.
Fast moving lava from Fissure 20 has crossed Pohoiki Road near Malama Ki Place, isolating approximately 40 homes in the area. All persons are asked to avoid the area.
Due to the volcanic activity, the following policies are in effect:
- Pohoiki Road is closed.
- Four (4) people were safely evacuated by County and National Guard helicopters.
- People still in that area are asked to stay in a safe place and wait for further instructions.
- Residents from Isaac Hale Beach Park to Kalapana are advised to prepare for voluntary evacuation should Highway 137 become threatened.
- For those evacuating, the Pāhoa Community Center, Kea‘au Community Center and Sure Foundation Church are open. Food will be provided and the shelters are pet friendly.
- Highway 137 and 130 are open.