State: Puna Residents Should Contact Insurance Companies

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

May 6, 2018, 6 a.m. – Kilauea’s east rift zone overflight. Two homes are consumed by the massive flow, and a third is threatened, as the lava advances downslope. PC: Paradise Helicopters

The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Insurance Division advises Leilani Estates and surrounding area residents to contact their insurance companies for coverage clarification and applicable policy provisions.

Those impacted by mandatory evacuations, fire, smoke or noxious fumes may be able to start a claim.

“If policyholders are unsure of what coverages they have, they should reach out to their insurance company as soon as possible,” said Insurance Commissioner Gordon Ito. “We don’t want residents to have lingering questions about their policies and not take advantage of a benefit that they may not be aware of. They should work with their agent to understand what is covered and what is not.”


Consumers should inform their insurer of any damages or that they may be unable to access their home or business. The policy may require a notification to the insurer within a certain timeframe. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and keep detailed notes of any conversations

Pāhoa and Puna residents who still have questions or concerns after contacting their insurance company can reach out to the Insurance Division using the toll-free Hawai‘i Island number, (808) 974-4000 x62790#.

For more information, a home insurance and lava flow FAQs brochure is available online.


Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments