Civil Defense Update: 5 Homes Destroyed
The Civil Defense reports that as of Saturday May 5, 2018 at 6:15 pm., Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms no new outbreaks have emerged and the fissures continue to emit hazardous fumes in Leilani Subdivision at this time.
It is confirmed that at this time, five homes have been destroyed.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens residents have been placed on evacuation notice due to the unpredictability of volcanic hazards. American Red Cross and Department of Parks and Recreation shelters are available for your sheltering needs.
- An emergency water restriction is in effect for Department of Water Supply customers of Leilani Estates Subdivision and below. All residences in the Kapoho area will be affected by this water emergency. Water spigots have been installed near the entrance of Lava Tree State Park and a water tanker has been placed in Vacationland for public drinking water access.
- Hawai‘i Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation area.
- The high levels of sulfur dioxide are a threat to all who become exposed. All are asked to be on the extreme alert to exposure to sulfur dioxide.
- The area continues to be unstable with volcanic venting and related hazards of earthquake and poisonous gases ongoing. Please heed all advisories.
County, state and federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety. The next update will be at 8 a.m. or earlier if necessary.