Hazardous Weather Message Issued for Big Island
The County of Hawai‘i released the following Civil Defense hazardous weather message for Friday, April 27, 2018, at 1 p.m.
The National Weather Service forecasts heavy rain, flash flooding, high surf and the possibility of thunderstorms for Hawai‘i Island starting Saturday.
Flash flooding means dangerous conditions of high, fast-moving water can occur on roadways without warning. Quickly rising, fast moving water in streams and rivers can also occur without warning.
- Residents in flood-prone areas are advised to be on the alert for possible flooding conditions.
- Motorists are urged to exercise caution while driving.
- Road closures may occur without notice. Persons near streams and rivers must remain alert for changing conditions.
- High surf may cause dangerous conditions for ocean users and coastal residents.
- If lightning threatens your area, the safest place to be is indoors.
You will be updated as conditions change.