Hawai‘i Native Plant Nurseries to Hold Sales on Arbor Day
The state Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) invites native plant enthusiasts to plant sales and giveaways happening across the state this weekend in celebration of Arbor Day in Hawaiʻi on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017.
DOFAW plant nurseries on Hawaiʻi island, Kauaʻi, Oʻahu and Maui will offer a variety of native plants to encourage their use in home gardening and landscaping.
- The Kamuela State Tree Nursery on Friday, Nov. 3, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. located at 66-1220a Lalamilo Road, Kamuela on the Big Island: Plant pot sizes available range from small dibbles to 2 gallon pots and the prices range from $1 to $11. Example of the selection of plants available are Native, windbreak, timber and landscape plants. Only cash or checks will be accepted. No credit cards will be accepted.
- The Hilo Baseyard Nursery on Friday, Nov. 3 from 9 a.m to 2 p.m. located at 19 East Kawili Street. Contact (808) 430-9096 for more information on the Hilo Baseyard Nursery Arbor Day event.
- The Maui Baseyard Nursery on Friday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. located at 685 Old Haleakalā Highway in Kahului. Plant pot sizes available range from small dibbles to 5 gallon pots and there is no charge (maximum five seedlings per person; any combination of species goes towards 5 count). Examples of the selection of plants that will be available are ʻakia, maile, ʻaʻaliʻi, milo, kou, naupaka and maiapilo.
- The Oʻahu Baseyard Nursery on Friday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. located at 2135 Makiki Heights Drive, Honolulu. People are advised to park along the lower roadway and parking area. Plant pot sizes available range from 4-inch to 3 gallon pots and the prices range from $4 to $100. Examples of the selection of plants available are koki‘o ke‘oke‘o (white hibiscus), maile, pāpala kēpau (Australasian catchbird tree), red ʻōhiʻa lehua, ʻaʻaliʻi, native grasses and sedges, pia, and noni. Only cash or checks will be accepted. No credit cards will be accepted.
- The Kauaʻi Baseyard Nursery on Friday, Nov. 3, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. located at 4398 Pua Loke Street, Līhuʻe. The parking lot is behind the state Department of Agriculture. Example selection of plants available: ‘iIima, maile, ʻōhiʻa lehua, wiliwili, ‘akia, naupaka, pohinahina, ‘ūlei, māmaki, kokiʻo keʻo keʻo and loulu. Two rare native hibiscus species will also be sold: kokiʻo ‘ula (Hibiscus kokiʻo saintjohnianus) and kokiʻo ‘ulaʻula (Hibiscus clayi). Puakenikeni trees will be given away for free. Only cash or checks will be accepted. No credit cards will be accepted.
Arbor Day partners will also have plant sales and giveaways across the state; for more information, visit www.arbordayhawaii.org.