Featured Articles

Eight Injured in Kauhale‘olu Apartment Fire

September 11, 2017, 8:56 AM HST
* Updated September 11, 8:57 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

Eight people were evacuated, treated and transported to Hilo Medical Center as a result of a fire on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, at the Kauhale‘olu Apartments, J Building, on Kumula Street in Pepe’ekeo.

Hawai‘i Island firefighters arrived at the scene at 5:40 a.m. to find a two-story apartment building comprised of four units with the upper floors fully involved in flames.

Additional apartment buildings in the complex were also threatened.

The fire was was caused by unattended cooking.

The fire suppressed with multiple hand lines and a master stream device.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The fire had to be fought from the exterior until conditions were tenable for entry. Upon entry, primary search and suppression measures were conducted using a thermal imager.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Power lines to building were down and the breaker was shut down as a precaution.

The building suffered severe fire and water damage.

HFD assisted lower apartment occupants with salvage of their personal items.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The Red Cross and an apartment complex representative assisted displaced occupants.

Pepe’ekeo Kauhale’olu LLC no damage estimate available at this time.

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments

Newsletters

Get a quick summary of what’s happening on the Big Island with our daily & weekly email of news highlights.