South Hilo Crime Report: July 21–27, 2017
Click HERE to see an interactive version of the South Hilo Crime Map to the left. Click on the flags to view crime details. Locations are as accurate as this technology allows.
South Hilo Crime Report: July 21–27, 2017
South Hilo Crime Map Key
- Red Flag: Robbery
- Blue Flag: Burglary
- Purple Flag: Vehicle Thefts
- Orange Flag: Vehicle Break-Ins
Hawai‘i Police Department’s South Hilo Community Police responded to two burglaries, 11 vehicle thefts and three vehicle break-ins in South Hilo over a seven-day period from Friday, July 21, to Thursday, July 27, 2017.
Of the 11 vehicles reported stolen, three had been recovered at the time of this report.
Also see “BIG ISLAND NOW CRIME STORIES” below for articles about specific incidents.
The complete list of locations affected and date in which the incidents occurred are as follows:
- July 26: Between 6:10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., unknown suspect(s) entered a residence near the 300 block of Iliahi Street through an unlocked front door and stole four $50
bills from within a drawer.
- July 27: Between 5:15 and 6 p.m., unknown person(s) entered a residence located near the 200 block of Kapiolani Street and removed $300 from a folder on the kitchen table. Entry was made by removing the front screen and one jalousie from the front window to the unlocked front door.
11 VEHICLE THEFTS
- July 21: Between 1 and 9 a.m., unknown suspect(s) stole a 1980 Yamaha XT500 motorcycle, license plate #860HNW from the parking lot of 400 Hualani Street. Motorcycle not located.
- July 21. Between 2:25 and 2:30 p.m. unknown person stole a white 1999 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck bearing license plate #ZDW642 that was parked in the parking lot of 400 Hualani Street. Truck not located.
- July 21 at 5 p.m.–July 22 at 6:30 a.m.: Unknown person(s) entered onto the property located near the 1100 block of Manono Street and removed two white Suzuki motorcycles from a storage container by breaking the hinge to the entrance door. No license plates. Motorcycles not located.
- July 23: Between 2 and 2:20 p.m., a maroon 2016 Kia Sorento, license plate ZDM397, was taken without permission from an address located near the 100 block of Haili Street. Vehicle not located.
- July 23: Between 8 and 10 p.m., a green, 1999 Honda CRV KSK386 was taken from fronting a residence located on Old Māmalahoa Highway. Vehicle not located.
- July 21–July 24: Unknown suspect(s) removed a green, 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel extra cab pick-up truck bearing plate #729HDZ from a business near the 900 block of Awa Street. Truck not located.
- July 24: Between 10:30 and 11 a.m., a blue 2014 Taotao moped bearing plate #H00509 was removed by unknown person(s) from a residence located near the 400 block of Hualani Street. Moped not located.
- July 24: Between 2:15 and 2:30 p.m. a 57-year-old woman reported while rendering assistance at a traffic collision on Highway 19, just south of the Old Onomea Road, she observed an unknown male party attempting to enter and steal her 2013 Nissan Frontier by pulling on the driver door handle without permission. The suspect pointed a
pistol at the driver and occupants of the vehicle in an attempt to steal the vehicle,
but was unsuccessful. The suspect has been identified as Tyler Leopoldino, 23. Vehicle located.
- July 24: Between 8:14 a.m. and 5:45 p.m., a 29-year-old woman reported that unknown person(s) removed her brand new gold 2017 Ford Focus four-door sedan with paper plates (vin no. 1fadp3f27hl236152) from the rear parking lot of a business located near the 100 block of Mohouli Street. She stated that she was late for work and forgot her car keys in the vehicle. Vehicle located.
- July 26: Between 1:15 pm and 1:25 pm unknown suspect removed a white 1993 Honda Civic, bearing Hawaii license plate no. MZJ461, from the shoulder fronting 66b Kukila Street without her permission. Vehicle not located.
- July 26: Between 3:30 and 4 p.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a red 2001 Dodge Dakota pickup truck from a driveway near the 2300 block of Awapuhi Street. The vehicle had it’s car keys left within it. The vehicle was located on July 27.
3 VEHICLE BREAK-INS
July 27: At approximately 2:30 a.m., a 40-year-old man reported that he was struck by two females while sitting in the driver’s seat of his vehicle while in the parking lot of a business located near the 100 block of Makaala Street.
July 27: Between 9:20 and 9:25 a.m., a 49-year-old woman reported being assaulted by her ex-boyfriend, 46, at the intersection of Kumukoa Street and Mohouli Street while she was sitting within her 2017 Kia Forte. The woman reported that her ex entered her vehicle through the passenger side front door.
July 27: At approximately 4 p.m., a 34-year-old man reported leaving his rented 2016 Nissan Frontier vehicle secure and unattended on the side of the roadway above the Pi‘ihonua Bridge
scenic point. Unknown suspects broke the front driver/passenger side windows and removed personal items from within the vehicle.
BIG ISLAND NOW CRIME STORIES
HPD NOTE TO BIG ISLAND RESIDENTS AND VISITORS
The Hawai‘i Police Department asks residents and visitors alike to take the role as an observer: Watch for suspicious activity and notifying the police. You can make a difference!
- Emergency: 911
- Non Emergency: (808) 935-3311
- Crime Stoppers: (808) 961-8300
- Vice/Drug tip hotline: (808) 934-VICE (8423)
To inquire about a neighborhood watch in your area or if you would like to start one, contact a South Hilo Community Police officer at (808) 961-8121.