Transpac 2017 Current Leader: Invisible Hand
Invisible Hand crossed the Diamond Head finish line on Thursday, July 13, 2017, at 11:20:10 a.m., after racing hard for seven straight days from Pt. Fermin in Long Beach to O‘ahu in this year’s Transpacific Yacht Race (Transpac).
Invisible Hand, skippered by Frank Slootman in his Pac 52, was followed by the other new Pac 52, Tom Holthus’ Bad Pak, at just under four hours, finishing at 3:03 p.m.
The remainder of the fleet is completing the race with five more boats finishing on Thursday and more than 20 in the next 12 hours.
As the bulk of the fleet progresses west and south into the trade winds, the weather gets warmer, layers of clothes get removed and the boats get flatter, giving teams more comfort after a sometimes very grueling race of over a week.
They will hit the dock today with lots of stories to tell and greeted by the famous Hawaiian Aloha Welcome Parties at Transpac Island, Hawai‘i and Waikiki yacht clubs, and Kewalo Basin.
Current standings of Hawaii crew/affiliated boats:
- 1st in Div. 2, Pyewacket, Roy Pat Disney Jr., sails out of Waikiki Yacht Club
- 3rd in Div. 2, Grand Illusion, James McDowell, Waikiki Yacht Club, 3-Peat Winner of Transpac
- 4th in Div. 2, Merlin, crew member Keahi Ho is from Maui
- 3rd in Div 1, Azshou, half of the crew is from Hawai‘i
- 4th in Div 1, Medicine Man, sponsored in part by Pau Maui this year
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD