Talent Needed for Honoka‘a Western Week
Honoka‘a Western Week is coming up May 21 to 29, and everyone is invited to celebrate Hāmākua’s paniolo heritage by dressing up western style and enjoying cowboy-themed activities every night.
The festivities will kick off with the 2nd Annual Farm Festival at Hāmākua Harvest. They will continue through the week, wrapping up with Friday night’s Paniolo Parade and Block Party, and the 61st Annual Hawai‘i Saddle Club Scholarship Rodeo over the weekend.
Organizers are currently recruiting volunteers to serve as saloon girls, cowboys, soup cooks and line dancers during the event. For more information or to apply, call Michelle Hartman at (808) 775-9777. The deadline to enter the Saloon Girl and Cowboys Got Talent contests is May 20.
Schedule of Events:
- Friday, May 26: 4 p.m., Paniolo Parade down Māmāne Street with mounted and marching units, pā‘ū riders, gleaming vintage cars and more.
- Thursday, May 25: Historic Honoka‘a Town Talk Story at Honoka‘a Library, 4 p.m., featuring Ross Stephenson, author of “Honoka’a Town,” and led by Honoka’a Western Week Sheriff Larry Ignacio. The Landing Restaurant will also feature a “Rowdy Rodeo.”
- Wednesday, May 24: Line Dancing at Honoka‘a People’s Theatre, 6 to 9 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 23: Portuguese Bean Soup and Sweetbread Contest hosted by Gramma’s Kitchen at NHERC Pavilion, 5 to 8 p.m.
- Monday, May 22: Stick horse creation at Hāmākua Youth Center, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, May 21
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd Annual Farm Festival at Hāmākua Harvest including live entertainment, dozens of vendors and food booths, educational presentations, silent auction, keiki activities and more. Located at the intersection of Māmāne Street and Highway 19 in Honoka‘a. Free event.
- 5 p.m., Stick Horse races
- 6 p.m., Saloon Girls and Cowboys Got Talent Contest
- 7 to 10 p.m., Music and dancing in the streets and free “Keiki Corral” for children from 5 to 7 p.m., with carnival-style games, silent auction and more.
- Sunday – Monday, May 28 through 29. 61st Annual Hawai‘i Saddle Club Scholarship Rodeo. For more information, contact [email protected].