Dentist ‘Walks the Talk’ for the Homeless
The Food Basket – Hawai‘i Island’s Food Bank is conducting a community outreach/food drop in coordination with Dr. Clifford Kopp’s “Walk the Talk” campaign, which started Sunday, June 12 (see schedule below).
The West Hawai‘i-based dentist is walking 300 miles to raise awareness about the estimated 1,800 unsheltered homeless on the Island of Hawai‘i, who have, in many cases, been ignored, unidentified and uncounted.
As part of his walk, Dr. Kopp is providing The Food Basket with a $5,000 match/donation to help combat hunger on the island.
The Food Basket will distribute non-perishable food to those in need with Dr. Kopp.
This is his fourth effort to raise awareness regarding the unsheltered homeless on the Big Island.
The Kailua-Kona Food Basket is located at 79-1016 E Honalo Road. Call (808) 322-1418.
The Hilo Food Basket is located at 40 Holomua St. Call (808) 933-6030.
Donate to The Food Basket online at www.hawaiifoodbasket.org/donate.
- June 12: 33 miles to Mile Marker 86 (before Ocean View)
- June 13: 33 miles to Mile marker 53 (Pahala)
- June 14: 33 miles to Mile marker 20 (5 miles before Mountain View)
- June 15: 33 miles to Mile marker 2 Route 130 (in and out of Pahoa)
- June 16: 33 miles to just east of Laupahoehoe
- June 17: 33 miles to Waimea
- June 18: 28 miles to Pololu Valley Lookout Point
- June 19: 10 miles in and out of Pololu Valley followed by 10 miles more, two miles past Hawi
- June 20: 28 miles to Waikoloa
- June 21: 26 miles to Home