Featured Articles

Fire Officials Battle Early Morning Captain Cook Structure Fire

March 18, 2016, 1:01 PM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio...
A
A
A

File photo.

File photo.

An early morning structure fire was responded to by the Hawai’i County Fire Department on Friday.

Firefighters responded to a home at 1:34 a.m., about half a mile off Highway 11 in Captain Cook on Rabbit Hill Road.

Upon arrival, HFD crews found concrete and wood structures fully engulfed in flames. Limited water sources prolonged the extinguish of the fire, which was under control at 2:30 a.m. and out at 5 a.m. after multiple water shuttles.

One person was in the structure at the time of the fire. The occupant was able to exit the home and told firefighters there was no one else in the house.

HFD say the fire was reportedly caused by a wood burning stove that tipped over.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

No estimate for the monetary amount of damage that was caused to the home was given.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Cancel
Mahalo for Subscribing
×

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Big Island Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments