RECIPE: Beet Pesto with Spaghetti
Beautifully rose hued and with the sublime flavor of macadamia nuts, fresh ginger, spicy garlic and parmesan cheese all whirled together with with tender beets – then tossed with hot pasta. This dish is perfect for a romantic meal with your special someone! Skip the parmesan all together, add a couple dashed of salt-to-taste and this recipe works just as well vegan.
1 cup beet pesto (recipe below)
8 ounces spaghetti, cooked to al dente
Chopped parsley for garnish
Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Toss beet pesto and hot, drained spaghetti till incorporated.
- Adjust amount of pesto to taste.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately!
4 medium beets
1 cup of parmesan
1 cup of macadamia nuts
2 cups of olive oil, divided
4 cloves of garlic
1 inch chopped ginger root
pinch of sea salt
- Peel and parboil the beets till tender.
- Add beets, parmesan, macadamia nuts, 1 cup of olive oil, garlic, ginger and sea salt to the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Gradually add remaining oil blending to desired thickness.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
More than just pasta! Use the pesto as a dip or spread with veggies, bread or crackers. You can even try it topped on grilled fish or chicken.
Tip: Keep in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for later use.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.