Dry Weather Causes Area-Specific Water Conservation Notice
A water conservation notice has been issued by the Department of Water Supply for an area spanning from Waimea town to Kawaihae, including Pohakea Mauka, Kalopa Mukaa, Pa’auilo Mauka, Old Ahualoa Road, and Kukuihaele in South Kohala and Hamakua.
DWS issued the notice of a voluntary reduction of water by 10 percent as ongoing dry weather conditions are present, along with anticipated dry winter weather.
The following list includes suggestions from DWS to reduce water usage:
- Wash only full loads of laundry
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks
- Keep a container of drinking water in the refrigerator
- Do not let water run when you wash, shave, or brush your teeth
- Reduce showering times
- Use water-saving devices
- Use a broom instead of a water hose for cleaning
- Irrigate at night and with a pail for small jobs
- Use drinking water wisely
Agricultural users should keep water usage to a minimum and irrigate only when it’s necessary. Night time, non-peak hours from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. are the suggested usage times.
DWS officials say that should the dry weather conditions continues, the next water notice will be a water restriction.