RECIPE: Star Fruit Upside-Down Cake
Star fruit replaces pineapple in this lovely and delicious dessert! Be forewarned – the heavenly aroma of butter, fruit and brown sugar baking may bring hungry neighbors and friends to your door.
3 medium star fruit, sliced about 1/4 inch
1/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange sliced star fruit in bottom of a greased 9 inch cake pan as close together as possible, and in two to three layers depending on how many slices you have and the size of your fruit.
- Mix together 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar and lemon juice. Pour over the layers of star fruit, make sure to distribute evenly.
- Cream together 1/2 cup of butter and sugar by hand, or using a mixer or food processor. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well.
- Mix together dry ingredients. Add flour mixture, alternately with milk, to butter mixture. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan. Let cool for five minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Serve immediately.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.