RECIPE: Roasted Beet Salad
Try this simple Roast Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Roasted Nuts. Add in a mixture of colorful in season beets! You can add a squeeze of lemon or orange and a grating of zest to change up the flavor, and/or chopped herbs of your choice! This salad is also delicious with crumbled goat cheese – or omit the cheese altogether for a delightful vegan meal!
4 medium beets, any color (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed, washed and unpeeled
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Sea salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (goat cheese is good here too!)
1/4 cup toasted nuts
Fresh salad greens
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Individually wrap 4 medium beets, trimmed, washed and unpeeled, in foil.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool. Rub beets to remove skins (they should peel off easily) and cut into small wedges or a mixture of shapes.
- Whisk together 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard; season with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Toss beets with dressing. Serve topped with 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese and 1/4 cup toasted nuts on salad greens.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.