RECIPE: Stir Fried Leafy Greens, Red Pepper, Tofu
We always have lots of leafy greens in our fridge. This is a wonderful last minute dish that can accommodate all sorts of leafy greens, including lettuce. A tip? Just sort which ones will take longer to cook as you put your stir fry together, saving those that are tenderer and fast-cooking for last. A beautiful and delicious meal to celebrate the summer’s abundant harvest!
2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
1 tablespoon water
3 teaspoons of soy sauce, divided
3 tablespoons peanut oil
12 ounces firm tofu, well drained and diced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced Hawaiian hot pepper (or more depending on your spice meter!)
1 red bell pepper or 2-3 long red Italian peppers, cut in 2-inch-long thin slices
1 pound leafy greens (for instance,1 large head of lettuce plus a bunch of kale and 2 medium heads of bok choy – stems and leaves separated for cooking), cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces
Sea salt to taste
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Mix together the mirin, water, and 2 teaspoons of the soy sauce and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized wok or large deep skillet over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon swirling in the pan to distribute, then add the tofu and stir-fry until golden brown.
- Add the remaining soy sauce, toss together, and transfer the tofu to a large plate or platter.
- Swirl in one more tablespoon of oil and add the ginger, garlic and chili pepper, and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from pan and place peppers on top of the tofu.
- Add the last tablespoon of oil to the wok or pan and allow to heat. Then add the longest cooking greens first (kale leaves, bok choy stems) and stir fry 1-3 minutes, depending on heat of stove.
- Add the chopped lettuce and bok choy leaves and sprinkle on the sea salt. Stir-fry for 1 minute until the lettuce has begun to wilt. Add the rice wine mixture and cook for 15 to 30 seconds, until the lettuce is bright and crisp tender.
- Remove from heat and place stir-fried greens on the platter next to the tofu and peppers. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve!
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.