RECIPE: Braised Kale with Bacon and Apple Juice
This recipe works well with all types of kale, as well as collard greens. The combination of salty bacon, the sweetness of the apple juice, and pungent flavors of garlic and kale make for a savory and unbeatable combination!
2 bacon slices
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 pound thinly chopped kale leaves
1/3 cup apple juice or cider
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add bacon; cook 5 minutes or until crisp, turning occasionally.
- Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté with onion about a minute.
- Add kale and cook 5 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Add juice and cover – cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add butter and toss till melted.
- Sprinkle with bacon and serve.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.