North Kona Water Conservation Notice Reminder
The Department of Water Supply wants to remind customers in the Keauhou to Keahole areas, up to Pu’ukala in North Kona, that due to the ongoing repairs of various wells, the area remains under a Water Conservation status.
A voluntary 10 percent reduction of water use is being requested of customers as the Honokohau, Hualalai, and Kahalu’u “B” wells continue to be repaired.
DWS compiled a list of ways to reduce water usage by 10 percent.
- Wash only full loads of laundry or dishes at a time.
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks.
- Keep a container of drinking water in the refrigerator.
- Do not let water run when you wash, shave, or brush your teeth.
- Reduce showering times.
- Use water-saving devices.
- Use a broom instead of a water hose for cleaning.
- Irrigate at night and with a pail for small jobs.
- Use drinking water wisely.
In addition to tips for water reduction, the DWS suggests that agricultural users keep water to a minimum by irrigating at night and during non-peak hours, between 8 p.m. and 6 p.m., as well as keep water use for dust control to a minimum.