RECIPE: Macadamia Nut PieApril 22, 2015, 12:07 PM HST (Updated April 22, 2015, 12:08 PM)
This Macadamia Nut Pie is oh so good and decadent with a hint of citrus. It’s a family favorite for holidays and birthdays – serve it warm with a dollop of Hawai`i vanilla ice cream to take your dessert experience over the top!
Makes 1 – 9 inch pie
Pastry dough (use a butter base)
3/4 stick unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups roasted lightly salted macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 12-inch round and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under and press against rim of pie plate, then use your fingers or a fork to crimp decoratively. Gently prick bottom all over with a fork. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes (or freeze for 10 minutes).
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, whisking until smooth.
- Remove from heat and whisk in corn syrup, vanilla, zest, and salt.
- Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl, then whisk in corn syrup mixture.
- Put macadamia nuts in pie shell and pour corn syrup mixture evenly over them.
- Put in oven and bake until filling is set, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool completely.
Serve warm with Hawai`i Vanilla ice cream.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.