Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center to Receive 8 New OfficersNovember 29, 2017, 2:12 PM HST (Updated November 30, 2017, 9:38 AM)
The state Department of Public Safety (PSD) welcomed a new class of correctional officers at a graduation ceremony held at the Neal Blaisdell Center in Honolulu on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017.
BCRC is nine-weeks (360 hours) of classroom time and physical training. Recruits learn standard of conduct, professionalism and ethics, report writing, interpersonal communications, maintaining security, crisis intervention, security threat groups (gangs), mental health, first aid, firearms and self-defense tactics.
All incoming classes receive Recruit Field Training along with Basic Corrections Training. That means, during the final weeks of training, they go into the facility and begin their job with the guidance of their training sergeants.
The graduates have been assigned to the following jail and prison facilities:
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center 9
- Halawa Correctional Facility 9
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center 7
- Women’s Community Correctional Center 3
- Maui Community Correctional Center 3
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center 1
- Kulani Correctional Facility 1