Get a ‘Taste of the Movies’ at Film Festival Foodie EventApril 15, 2015, 1:25 PM HST (Updated April 23, 2015, 7:25 AM)
This year’s Big Island Film Festival will feature a foodie event called “Taste of the Movies” on Friday, May 22, from 5 – 7 p.m. at The Shops at Mauna Lani.
Ten chefs will be preparing movie-themed cuisine commemorating BIFF’s tenth year, in an open-air “dine-around.” Proceeds from the event will support the next decade of Big Island Film Festivals.
Tickets to the event cover food, beer and wine tastings, as well as admission to Friday evening’s double film feature at The Fairmont Orchid Hawai‘i Plantation Estate.
Look for the following creative offerings of cinema cuisine:
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Chef Darcy Ambrosio, “The Wild, Wild West”
- Tommy Bahama, Chef Stennis Hirayama, “The Rum Diary”
- Outrageous Food and Events, Chef David Paul Johnson, “Chocolat”
- Under the Bodhi Tree, Chef Stephen Rouelle, “Everything is Illuminated”
- Monstera Noodles & Sushi, Chef Norio Yamamoto, “Spicy Tuna”
- The Blue Room Brasserie and Bar, Chef Eric Rouelle, “Princess Kai‘uilani”
- Pueo’s Osteria, Chef James Babian, “Under the Tuscan Sun”
- Sansei Seafood, Steak and Sushi Bar, Chef Scott Lutey, “The Fishing Club”
- Tropics Ale House, Chef Keola Valdez, “The Hunger Games”
- The Feeding Leaf, Chef Scott Hiraishi, “Charlotte’s Web”
BIFF Executive Director Leo Sears says “Taste of the Movies” was an idea discussed last year.
“It’s a terrific fit, the chefs are excited, and I think the audience is going to be really happy with the experience of ‘Taste,’” he said. “What people might not realize, is that our filmmakers and celebrities attend these events and love interacting with the people who live here. It’s part of the total package of BIFF.”
Tickets are $75 per person and can be purchased by calling (808) 883-0394 in advance. Space is limited.