Zonta Club of Hilo accepting applications for 2023 awards, scholarships
The Zonta Club of Hilo is offering a total of $15,000 in cash assistance and scholarships for women on the Big Island this year and the application period is now open.
“We encourage women to apply for financial support for brighter futures in their chosen fields, and look forward to reading applications from a diverse pool of applicants,” said Zonta Club of Hilo scholarship chairwoman Nina Buchanan.
The awards and scholarships available in 2023 are:
- The Young Women in Public Affairs Awards encourage young women to participate in public affairs by recognizing their commitment to the volunteer sector, evidence of their volunteer leadership achievements and their dedication to empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy. The award is open to women ages 16 to 19 years old as of April 1. The deadline to apply is March 1.
- The Women’s Nursing Degree Scholarships are for women who demonstrate interest in continuing their nursing studies toward an advanced degree or leadership track. The scholarships are open to women of any age; however, students must be currently enrolled full-time in the first year of a nursing degree program at the University of Hawai’i at Hilo or Hawai’i Community College with a 3.0 or better grade-point average and show a financial need. The deadline to apply is May 1.
- The Barbra An Pleadwell Scholarships are for Big Island or O‘ahu women enrolled as full-time students in college/university or high school seniors. Preference is given to women’s studies and/or communications majors who demonstrate financial need. Last year was the first year this scholarship was offered, thanks to donations made in memory of Pleadwell. The deadline to apply is May 1.
- The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships are awarded to women undertaking business studies who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field. Open to women of any age, students must be enrolled in at least their second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a master’s program at the time the application is submitted. Deadline to apply is May 15.
- The Women in STEM Scholarships are awarded to women pursuing a science, technology, engineering or mathematics degree who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field. Open to women of any age, students must be enrolled at an accredited university, college or institute and be in at least their second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a master’s program at the time their application is submitted. The deadline to apply is May 15.
Top winners of the Young Women in Public Affairs Award, Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship and Women in STEM Scholarship will advance from the club level to compete for additional awards and scholarships at Zonta’s district and international levels.
Zonta Club of Hilo is member of Zonta International, whose mission is to build a better world for women and girls. Scholarship and award applications are available online.