Hawai’i County seeking applicants for community committees in Kona and Puna
The County of Hawaiʻi is seeking applicants for its Community Development Plan Action Committees for Kona and Puna.
The purpose of the plans:
- Translate the General Plan’s broad statements into actions specific within the community plans
- Improve and advance community resilience
- Provide civic dialogue for community engagement
The Action Committees are responsible for implementing resident-driven solutions from the development plans that positively transform their communities in partnership with a network of businesses, non-profits and community leaders. Committee members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the County Council.
All Action Committee members must reside in the Community Development Plan planning area and are required to make the following commitments:
- Commit to a term of up to four years.
- Attend regular (quarterly) meetings during evenings
- Invest a minimum of eight hours of work each month in advancing Community Development Plan implementation through priority projects and initiatives.
- Possess a deep love for their community, passion for equity and a motivation to work for the greater good of their community
- Attend training workshops relative to facilitation, network development, local government, planning processes, equitable community engagement, etc.
- Work with the community to identify other capacity-building needs and opportunities.
- Develop priorities and a work plan to implement community actions in the Community Development Plans
- Intentionally and explicitly engage all factions of their community with specific attention to those who are marginalized and underrepresented
- Organize and attend public meetings and workshops.
- Be a point of contact for Community Development Plan and Action Committee initiatives
- Develop partnerships with individuals, non-profits, businesses and community groups/associations
- Transmit project updates and involvement opportunities regularly to their Community Development Plan region
- Document and share lessons learned/successes with Action Committees around the island
- Sgree to follow meeting ground rules and operating principles of the Action Committee and Planning Department.
To apply, go to https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/our-county/boards-and-commissions or contact Pōmaikaʻi Bartolome at [email protected].
For more information about Community Development Plans, please visit https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/vision.