RECIPE: Bang Bang Summer Chicken Salad
This salad is the perfect answer to a hot summer day, a cool colorful slaw mixture tossed with a spicy peanut dressing and topped with cold shredded chicken. Squeeze refreshing lime juice over the salad to add piquancy and highlight the bold flavors.
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 red Hawaiian peppers, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup canola oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage ( or mixture of red cabbage and Napa)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
1 carrot, grated
1 bunch green onions, chopped (julienne tops of greens for garnish)
3 cups cold shredded chicken
2 limes, quartered
2 tablespoon chopped peanuts for garnish
- Whisk together the vinegar, peanut butter, ginger, garlic, chopped peppers, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and canola oil in a medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine cabbage, carrots, cilantro, mint, cucumber, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Add the 3/4 cup of the dressing and toss to combine.
- Add the rest of the dressing to the shredded chicken and toss.
- Mound the salad on a serving platter and top with the shredded chicken, and chopped peanuts.
- Drizzle with chili oil, if desired. Garnish with quartered limes and julienned onions.
This post has been a contribution by Kristin Frost Albrecht on behalf of The Food Basket, Hawai’i Island’s Food Bank.