*This position is eligible for a temporary $750 Sign-on Bonus, paid out in three increments throughout the first 6 months of employment, based on the number of hours worked.
The primary responsibility of a Courtesy Clerk is to ensure customer satisfaction by promptly and accurately bagging the customer’s purchased items quickly, efficiently, and intact. A Courtesy Clerk also increases customer loyalty by assisting all customers with courteous, pleasant, and patient service.
You MUST perform the following duties regularly and up to company standards:
- Promptly and efficiently greet, thank, offer assistance, and meet the needs of all customers.
- Bag items quickly and efficiently without forgetting or damaging any items, by following proper bagging procedures.
- Transport and load groceries into vehicle of customers needing such assistance.
- Replace, retrieve or price check items for Cashiers and customers.
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
In order to provide the best possible service to our customers, the following duties are also required on an as-needed basis, during slow periods, or upon instruction by a supervisor, manager or designated person-in-charge.
- Assist customers with unloading items from shopping cart onto the check stand belt.
- Retrieve shopping carts from the parking and sidewalk areas and maintain cart availability to customers, as needed. Remove all trash from carts.
- Lock up shopping carts at closing of store.
- Return unwanted or damaged items to proper location.
- Refill and maintain bags and supplies at the check stand, as needed.
- Restock ice case as needed.
- Perform and record regular floor sweeps as assigned.
- Respond to “mess calls” as needed.
- Clean break room, restrooms, parking lot, sidewalk and front-end of store daily.
- Empty and dispose of trash from check stands and offices daily.
- Study and be able to explain specials, ads and promotions to customers.
- Assist other departments with job duties when necessary.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPECTATIONS
All associates are required to provide our customers with “World Class Service” with a local touch.
- GREET all customers (be friendly, smile and make face-to-face eye contact).
- HELP all customers (listen and pay attention; be courteous; be knowledgeable about product location, services offered and store hours; offer alternatives if a product is out of stock; take the customer to the product, etc.).
- Personalize the customer’s shopping experience (make small talk, offer meal suggestions, explain current store promotions, etc.).
- THANK all customers (show appreciation and offer a parting comment).
- Frequently perform most duties in an air conditioned building where it may be dirty, dusty, and noisy, and with a high volume of customers and co-workers.
- Occasionally work outdoors where the temperature and weather varies (hot, humid, vog, etc.), to dispose trash, sweep the parking lot, retrieve shopping carts and assist customers to their vehicle.
- Seldom work around fumes and odors from various products and customer’s perfumes.
- Generally be available for work 7 days a week and holidays, from store open to close.
- Frequently use reusable, plastic and/or paper bags to bag customer’s groceries; broom, dustpan, mop and cleaning solutions for cleaning duties; shopping carts to assist customers with their groceries.
- Seldom use a case cutter, pricing gun, ladder and stock wagon to stock shelves and assist customers.
- Continuously wear a back support belt when performing all job duties.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS
MENTAL – Continuously need to concentrate well, pay attention to detail, and be alert when performing all duties, and especially when working around customers and moving vehicles, to ensure the safety and satisfaction of employees and customers; be able to understand the basic concepts of bagging groceries efficiently and without damaging any items; be able to work efficiently, even with frequent interruptions. Frequently need to be knowledgeable of store promotions and product location to assist customers with their needs. Occasionally need to be able to remain calm, courteous and professional when handling various customer situations and complaints.
PHYSICAL – Continuously need to stand, reach, handle, have good eye-hand coordination and fingering abilities when bagging groceries; walk to move from one checkout to another, assist customers to their vehicles, return merchandise to the shelves, gather shopping carts and show customers where products are. Frequently need to push, pull, lift and carry up to 40 lbs. when assisting customers with their groceries; bend or crouch when placing or retrieving items from under the shopping cart, refilling supplies and when performing cleaning duties. Occasionally need to have wide field of vision, and push/pull up to 100 lbs. when retrieving shopping carts, assisting customers with their groceries to their vehicle, and when moving display racks to be cleaned; walk briskly to retrieve or replace an item for a customer. Seldom need to climb a ladder to stock or retrieve merchandise; have good color vision in order to identify various products (unmarked colored item, fresh fruit, etc.).
COMMUNICATION – Continuously need to talk to and meet the needs of customers when greeting and thanking them, explaining store promotions, assisting them with their requests and questions, and providing assistance to their vehicles. Frequently need to talk to and meet the needs of co-workers when communicating and assisting with job duties; read signs, weekly ads, coupons, product and shelf labels, correctly to assist customers. Occasionally need to write when ordering supplies and communicating in communication book; give directions to locate a product, explain a promotion, or train new employees.