Nomination deadline for Hawaiʻi Sports Hall of Fame is Dec. 1
Nominations are now being accepted for the next members of the Hawaiʻi Sports Hall of Fame. The deadline is Dec. 1.
Nominated athletes can be in the field of surfing, football, canoe racing, baseball or any other sport. But they must meet the hall of fameʻs criteria:
- Olympic medalist
- World record holder (sanctioned associations)
- Inductees in recognized international of national halls of fame
- Professional athletes who have been voted to association all-pro teams or members of a world championship team
- Residency: must have a strong local connection to Hawaiʻi
- Contingent qualification: significant participation in the development of an athletic program. Examples: pioneer, contributor.
Guidelines, instructions and ballots are available online on the Hawaiʻi Sports Hall of Fame website, https://hawaiisportshalloffame.com/ballot-and-instructions.html.
The Hawaiʻi Sports Hall of Fame is the State Museum for sports history in Hawaiʻi to record outstanding accomplishments of Hawaiʻi’s world class athletes.
There are currently 137 inductees.
It is an educational repository to honor athletes, pioneers and contributors of Hawaiʻi’s rich sports history and to serve as role models for our youth, encouraging them to emulate the same characteristics of devotion, dedication, the pursuit of athletic excellence, steadfast and moral character.