June 2018 Events Announced for Liliʻuokalani Gardens
The Friends of Liliʻuokalani Gardens will host a series of events throughout June 2018 commemorating Kamehameha Day and local culture including Obon dance, hula performances and lessons, mele, lei making, park tours and other festivities.
The events schedule is as follows:
Second-annual Obon in the Gardens
All ages are welcome to learn and practice the art of bon dance led by Jane Heit of Tsukikage Odorikai. Free and open to the public, this event will include children’s crafts.
When: Saturday, June 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 10 a.m. – welcome
- 10:15 a.m. – blessing by Reverend Sawada
- 10:30 a.m. – Taishoji Taiko
- 10:45 a.m. – Matsuri dancing and instruction
- Noon – Fukushima Ondo with Hilo Bon Dance Club opens Bon Dance until 2 p.m., ending with Fukushima Ondo.
Where: The small parking lot near the Shoroan tea house at Liliʻuokalani Gardens.
He Moʻolelo Kō ka Lei
Learn the craft of Hawaiian lei making during this workshop celebrating Kamehameha Day. The free event will include mele (song) performances and hula lessons followed by a tour of Liliʻuokalani Gardens. Guests should bring a brown bag lunch.
When: Saturday, June 9, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 9 a.m. – Performance of Lili’uokalani at Washington Place by Pualani Johnson
- 10 a.m. – Makalapua sung in background by Kamehameha students of Haʻai
Aiona, Kauʻi Kaina and Kealohi Reppun
- 10:30 a.m. to noon – Liliʻu E, led by kumu and opportunity to learn hula for
both Kamehameha students and attendees
- Noon to 1 p.m. – Lunch
- 1 to 2 p.m. – Tour of gardens followed by lei making with Hālau Lei Manu (attendees
asked to bring softened lāʻī (tī leaf) and lau kukui (kukui leaf)if possible)
- 5 p.m. – Presentation of long lei at Kamehameha statue
Where: Kamehameha Statue in Hilo and Liliʻuokalani Gardens
Celebrate Kamehameha Day with festivities on Mokuola (Coconut Island) across from the gardens.
When: Monday, June 11
Where: Mokuola in Hilo